Jan 18, 2015

Stress and Siding... Not related.

What should I start with? Stress? Might as well... Because it will likely be throughout this post anyway!

Things are starting to get really stressful as we near the end. If I thought it was stressful before, I had no idea what I was heading into! 

Our drywall is all hung and the taper worked all weekend and is almost finished as well. The house is really starting to look good! (Trying to maintain a positive attitude :) )

When we decided to build this house ourselves, we never really thought about all the little things we'd actually end up doing BY ourselves.  When it came time to hanging drywall, there were all these little spots that needed blocking and strapping so they had something to actually attach the drywall to. Our framer had done a pretty good job of getting most spots, but not all of them. So we attempted to do things on our own. Keep in mind, we work the exact same schedule, and it's the WORST possible schedule for accomplishing anything. 
We had to work on these small projects between our 3 night shifts with little sleep, little patience, little skills and lots of grumpiness. 

We didn't get it all done. So areas were drywalled, and yesterday was spent taking the drywall down in these areas... Ugh. Thankfully it's just the garage that we didn't get time to finish, but it still annoys the hell out of me that we didn't get it done. So now, we are going to have to buy new drywall, hang it ourselves, tape and mud it ourselves. After paying for professionals. But not before we add more support for the garage door brackets behind the drywalled areas. And hopefully we get this done before our garage doors arrive this week. Oh have I mentioned that our schedule this week is days Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we're off (but I have the girls so I can only be available between 9:30-3) and then we work Friday, Saturday and Sunday days followed by Monday and Tuesday nights. Right. Plenty of time. 

Have I also mentioned that my house has now sold and we need to be out of here by February 11th? So add packing/storing an entire house in that schedule too. $&@!#!!!!! If you see me, and I have no hair, it's because I pulled it all out. That could be true about my eyelashes too... They seem to be the first to go when I'm stressed. 

We are also painting our new house during this time. That should only take a few hours, right? It's about all I've got left, once I give up sleeping and eating for 3 weeks. Annnnnd I should probably move onto siding now, because I'm getting chest pain thinking about everything that has to happen with no time to do it in! 

Siding... It's up! Not all of it, but I'd say 1/3 of it. And I LOVE it!! 




We are using James Hardie fiber cement siding. The body of the house is called Iron Gray. I know what you're thinking, it should be called Iron Blue! I agree, but I love it all the same :)

The trim around the windows and doors is also James Hardie and it's called Cobblestone. I am so happy we went with it over a stark white. 

I have no idea when they plan on being finished with the siding. They're super nice (and funny) guys. But they don't move very quickly! It's also been bitter cold most days so I don't blame them. They've been at the soffits, fascia and siding for 2 weeks now... at this rate they should be done around May 2-4. ;)

I guess I should get off my butt and start packing... I've taken all the pictures off of my walls, but that's about it! Maybe I should get a job with the siding guys! My hours would be better... 



No comments:

Post a Comment