Jan 31, 2015

Wooden want anything else!

Our hardwood floors are in the kiln! Well half of them! They'll be there for at least a week, maybe even 2 depending on the moisture content. 

I went to see them while they are drying. I already love them!


The flooring manufacturer is going to make us up a few samples out of these pieces here


Once they're dry, they'll be tongue and grooved and ready for install!  We plan to do a very light sanding. We want to keep as much of the age spots and patina as possible, and then finish with a clear coating to protect them. 

The other half of our floors are here:

Still on the barn! They'll be coming down next week and going into the kiln too. I love the idea of using reclaimed wood. I am by no means a treehugger, I throw the occasional pop can into the garbage, oops! But I do have a fascination and love for old things. I am amazed at the construction and level of detail given the lack of modern technology. 

We had a few big beams milled into flooring too... Here are some of the pieces. There's a few pieces of cedar mixed in there that aren't ours. 



Anyway... That's the update on our floors. I plan to go watch/help and take pictures of the actual milling and tongue and grooving process. More on that later!

  




No comments:

Post a Comment